Sunday, October 31, 2010

Don't you just love Sundays?

This week has been a blur.  I had my first prenatal appointment on Tuesday - or at least that's what I thought.  There was a miscommunication and my doctor's office thought I was coming in for my 'prenatal counseling' appointment.  Apparently, everyone has to have this counseling appointment first (which is only 15 minutes long).  But since I was a patient at the fertility clinic, I was way past the point of a counseling appointment.  Once my doctor heard how far along I was, she kinda freaked out and said I need to get in for my real first prenatal appointment ASAP.

Easier said than done!  Appointments with her are usually booked at least a month in advance.  She's so great though, she said that she would give up her lunch break to see me.  So my real first prenatal appointment is on Tuesday.  She also gave me the paperwork for my first trimester screening tests - which are scheduled for Weds.  I'm excited to see my little baby again!  Maybe this time it will actually look like a baby??

My doctor said that she usually discusses OB referrals at the second prenatal appointment.  Yes, that means she won't be delivering my baby.  SHIT!  Apparently, she used to 'catch babies' (she's from South Africa), but too many decided to come at night and her family asked her to stop.  I don't want some creepy OB as my doctor!  As I learned at the early pregnancy course, midwives view childbirth as a natural process, OBs view childbirth as a procedure with many possible medical complications, and family doctors are somewhere right in the middle.  I liked that 'right in the middle' option.  Getting a midwife in Calgary is virtually impossible; there are just soooo many people having babies these days.  I don't like the prospect of being on a waitlist to have a midwife.  I think I may still look into having a doula.

On Weds. I flew to San Fransisco for a conference on Character Education.  It was really great to get away!  I was with another teacher from my school (who knows I'm preggers), and an old friend who teaches at a high school (who does not know -yet).  I was kinda worried about what to say if she noticed I wasn't drinking, but it was fine, since she wasn't into drinking either.  She did make a comment about how often I pee!  We were sharing a bed (a double!  Who the hell puts double beds in $250 a night hotels???) and she said I woke her up each time I got out of bed to pee.  She's going to be so mad at me when I tell her!  She likes to know EVERYTHING!

We did a lot of walking, and I'm not normally a fast walker, but now that I'm preggers, I am SLOW!  They were constantly making fun of me!  I wanted to say, "I will be out of breath if I go any faster!", but I didn't.  I just ignored them and continued to walk at my own pace.

It was great to get home to my kitty babies!  Now I'm having a lovely, relaxed Sunday afternoon.  I'll go Trick or Treating with my nephews later today.  There's NO SNOW in Calgary!!  I think this is the first time since I moved here in 2006.


2 comments:

  1. Aw, look at your cute kitties!

    Sounds like a great get-away, though I can't believe you didn't cave and tell your friend your news! Your baby will definitely look like a baby at your ultrasound on Wednesday. You're going to be amazed at the difference from the last ultrasound! Don't forget to get online and post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you for your Wednesday appt...there's nothing better than seeing your little.

    ReplyDelete