Saturday, May 7, 2011

Blubbering Idiot

So I went for my weekly doctor's appointment on Thursday.  My blood pressure was too high, even after taking it three times, so I was sent to the hospital for bloodwork and monitoring.

Not a big deal, it nearly happened a few weeks ago when I had protein in my urine.  At that time, I was able to pee again and showed less protein, so I avoided the trip.

This time, I was a blubbering mess!  I guess I was scared of being induced.  I had a little cry while at the doctor's office, then another one on the drive to the hospital, and then AGAIN while waiting to get my bloodwork.  Pretty much any time someone spoke to me, I would start crying!

Then when I got upstairs and into the monitoring room, I started crying again!  All I kept thinking is, "great, this is going to make my blood pressure even HIGHER!".

I got changed into the gown and hooked up to the cuff, baby's heart monitor, and the contraction monitor. Then I just lay there for about an hour.  I eventually calmed down and stopped crying.  My blood pressure went down and continued to go down.  Baby's heart rate was great, and I was having no contractions.  The on-call doctor from my doctor's group came to see me and wants me to go back to the doctor's office on Monday, instead of Thurs.  She also mentioned having another ultrasound.

So everything was fine, I was sent home.  But what a wake-up call!!  If I had been induced, I would have had the clothes on my back and my purse.  Needless to say, yesterday was spent running a million and one errands and getting my bags totally packed.

I really hope that wasn't an indicator of how I'm going to act during labor!  I guess I can blame it on hormones, right?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty normal reaction to me! I'm so pleased that you don't have pre-eclampsia. Definitely keep that over-night bag packed and at hand because it won't be long now anyway :) GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely blame it on hormones; that's the joy of being a woman, and a pregnant woman at that. It sounds like something positive did come from the experience though. Best wishes on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's the hormones - and the stress. Labor will be better. Here's hoping you don't need to be induced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had bp scares and trips to the hospital a few times. It was all fine just not fun. Take care of yourself, hopefully you will go into labor naturally.

    ReplyDelete